Search Results

Displaying results 1 - 3 of 3
Results per page
10
25
50
Description

This collection consists of historical files on Aroostook County parishes compiled by Msgr. Philip E. Desjardins for the Diocese of Portland. Included are the histories of the parishes of Caribou, Eagle Lake, Fort Kent, Fort Fairfield, Frenchville, Grand Isle/Lille, Hamlin, Houlton, Limestone, Madawaska, Mars Hill, Presque Isle, St. Agathe, St. Francis, St. John, Sinclair, Stockholm, Van Buren/Keegan, and Wallagrass. The compilation was done from the following sources, Church World; Le Messager de Lewiston; Catholic Directory of Portland; L’Union; Chancery files; Bangor Daily News; Bishop Walsh’s diary; historical notes from different Reverends and parishes, etc.

Date(s)
1810 to 1962
Contributing Institution
Description

The Pinette Funeral Home was started in 1912 by Napoleon Pinette. Pinette had been a woodsman and associated with F.X. Marcotte Furniture and Undertaking, from whom he bought the undertaking business charter. The first Pinette Funeral Home was located at 413 Lisbon St. In 1940, Napoleon Pinette purchased 87 Bartlett Street, which remained the funeral home’s main office until 2006. In 1964, the Pinette Funeral Chapel was built for families in the Lewiston-Auburn suburbs. Raoul Pinette, Napoleon’s son, sold the business to James and Kevin Lynch on June 2, 1986. Kevin began as an apprentice with Raoul Pinette in 1979, and James followed Kevin on a part time basis until the brothers attended the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science, graduating in 1982. Under the Lynch Brothers ownership, the funeral home developed a close relationship with the Dillingham & Son Memorial Chapel. The Dillingham & Son Chapel was founded in 1871 by civil war veteran Charles K. Dillingham, and between 1871-1996 the Chapel was owned by the Dillingham family. The Lynch brothers bought the Chapel from Charles’s great-grandson, John H. Dillingham on June 19, 1996. Today, John’s son, Jack H. Dillingham, is still employed at the firm, continuing in the Dillingham tradition. The funeral home is currently located at 305 Alfred Plourde Parkway in Lewiston. The Pinette, Dillingham & Lynch Funeral Home Collection Franco-American Collection University of Southern Maine Libraries interior is over 10,000 square feet and outside there is a 100 car parking lot. The funeral home has been well received by families for its ease of access and warm and inviting atmosphere. (Adapted from the “History and Staff” section of the Pinette, Dillingham & Lynch website: https://www.lynchbrothers.com/who-we-are/history-and-staff ).

Date(s)
1964 to 2020
Contributing Institution