Pinette, Dillingham and Lynch Funeral Home Collection - Finding Aid
The Pinette Funeral Home was started in 1912 by Napoleon Pinette. Pinette had been a woodsman and associated with F.X. Marcotte Furniture and Undertaking, from whom he bought the undertaking business charter. The first Pinette Funeral Home was located at 413 Lisbon St. In 1940, Napoleon Pinette purchased 87 Bartlett Street, which remained the funeral home’s main office until 2006. In 1964, the Pinette Funeral Chapel was built for families in the Lewiston-Auburn suburbs. Raoul Pinette, Napoleon’s son, sold the business to James and Kevin Lynch on June 2, 1986. Kevin began as an apprentice with Raoul Pinette in 1979, and James followed Kevin on a part time basis until the brothers attended the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science, graduating in 1982. Under the Lynch Brothers ownership, the funeral home developed a close relationship with the Dillingham & Son Memorial Chapel. The Dillingham & Son Chapel was founded in 1871 by civil war veteran Charles K. Dillingham, and between 1871-1996 the Chapel was owned by the Dillingham family. The Lynch brothers bought the Chapel from Charles’s great-grandson, John H. Dillingham on June 19, 1996. Today, John’s son, Jack H. Dillingham, is still employed at the firm, continuing in the Dillingham tradition. The funeral home is currently located at 305 Alfred Plourde Parkway in Lewiston. The Pinette, Dillingham & Lynch Funeral Home Collection Franco-American Collection University of Southern Maine Libraries interior is over 10,000 square feet and outside there is a 100 car parking lot. The funeral home has been well received by families for its ease of access and warm and inviting atmosphere. (Adapted from the “History and Staff” section of the Pinette, Dillingham & Lynch website: https://www.lynchbrothers.com/who-we-are/history-and-staff ).
Donated by James “Jim” Lynch of the Pinette, Dillingham & Lynch Funeral Home on 3/2/2020.
The collection consists of photos and promotional materials related to the funeral home and plaques and medals from religious or community groups related to various deceased individuals. The churches that the insignia came from are: Sts. Peter and Paul, Lewiston; St. Croix, Lewiston; St. Marie, Lewiston; Holy Family, Lewiston; and St. Louis, Auburn. The collection also contains medals from the Cercle D’Youville. Organizations featured: Dames de St. Anne, Dames de Charité, Ligue du St. Nom de Jésus, Union St. Jean Baptiste, Ligue du Sacré Coeur, Societe de St. Vincent de Paul, and Association St. Joseph.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 4.0 License.
Pinette, Dillingham & Lynch Funeral Home Collection, Franco-American Collection, University of Southern Maine Libraries.